In 1953 there were 2 LOI clubs playing out of Cork; Cork Athletic and Evergreen. They didn’t make much impacy on that league that year, finishing 8th and 10th (of 12), but both reach the FAI Cup final. There’s been 76 FAI Cup finals and the 1954 final remains the only all-Cork affair.
Road to the Final
- Drumcondra 0-1 Cork Athletic
- Evergreen 1-1 Shamrock Rovers
First Round Replay
- Shamrock Rovers 2-4 Evergreen
- Waterford 2-3 Cork Athletic
- Evergreen 1-1 Jacobs
Second Round Replay
- Jacobs 0-1 Evergreen
Semi Finals (both at Dalymount Park)
- Limerick 1-2 Cork Athletic
- Evergreen 1-0 St Patrick’s Athletic
Final (Dalymount Park)
- Cork Athletic 2-2 Evergreen
Final Replay (Dalymount Park)
- Cork Athletic 2-1 Evergreen
A crowd of 17,396 watched the final on the Sunday. That had reduced to “6.000” for the replay on the following Wednesday.
It was one of 6 FAI Cups won by the Cork Athletic club which changed it’s name several times throughout it’s history; (Fordsons/Cork FC /Cork City (1938)/Cork United (1940)/Cork Athletic).
Evergreen would go on to play as Cork Celtic but never won the FAI Cup